what I use to describe my own beliefs. I am fairly confident in saying I’m an atheist, exploring Buddhism and meditation, But wouldn’t say I am a “believer” of any god concept.
I’ve found these are some good definitions to know, when talking to people in this part of the country, when it comes to spiritual beliefs.
A belief in one god. Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are all monotheistic religions. (Compare polytheism.)
monotheism 1660, from Gk. mono-, comb. form of monos "single, alone" + theos "a god" (see Thea).
god (gäd, gôd)
1. any of various beings conceived of as supernatural, immortal, and having special powers over the lives and affairs of people and the course of nature; deity, esp. a male deity: typically considered objects of worship
2. an image that is worshiped; idol
3. a person or thing deified or excessively honored and admired
4. in monotheistic religions, the creator and ruler of the universe, regarded as eternal, infinite, all-powerful, and all-knowing; Supreme Being; the Almighty
Etymology: ME < OE, akin to Ger gott, Goth guth, prob. < IE base *ĝhau-, to call out to, invoke > Sans havaté, (he) calls upon
used variously, and in interjectional phrases, as an oath and as an expression of relief, determination, surprise, anger, etc. God, I'm glad that's over! I'll see this through, by god! God almighty! my God!
ag•nos•tic (ag näs′tik)
a person who believes that the human mind cannot know whether there is a God or an ultimate cause, or anything beyond material phenomena
Adjective of or characteristic of an agnostic or agnosticism
a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.
ATHEIST, AGNOSTIC, INFIDEL, SKEPTIC refer to persons not inclined toward religious belief or a particular form of religious belief. An ATHEIST is one who denies the existence of a deity or of divine
esoteric (comparative more esoteric, superlative most esoteric)
1. Understood only by a chosen few or an enlightened inner circle.
The writing in this manual is very esoteric; I need a degree in engineering just to understand it!
2. Having to do with concepts that are highly theoretical and without obvious practical application.
3. Confidential; private.