Most people grant religion far more respect than befits it. Over the centuries, the claims of religionists have proved to be not only false, but blatantly superstitious distortions, unsubstantiated myth and totally lacking in reason or logic. Mighty gods perished along with their policies and prayers long ago now holding less significance than a microbe.

Huitzilopochtli, Tezcatilpoca, Quitzalcoatl and Xiehtecuthli died no heroic deaths; they simply faded away into the nothing that spewed them forth. What of the Mighty Zeus and Thor? They are fodder for fantasy movies where their reality ends the moment the popcorn disappears and the lights come on. Centeotl, Tlazolteotl, Mictlan and Baal evaporated without leaving a bone.

Now, Christians wait for Jesus to return when it is clear that he either has a malfunctioning sundial or like the other greats tripped and fell into the graveyard of the gods and is in the process of liquefying and seeping into the soil. Debating where the gods absconded to with their holy treasures is unworthy of discussion, much less debate.

From my standpoint, religion is wearisome, tedious and mind numbing with its repetition of spurious history along with farcical science. Asides from its quaint folklore, penchant for exaggeration and high error quotient, there is little worthy of discussion, much less belief. Of course, that is just my opinion, but as a man born, baptized and schooled Catholic I know the ridiculosity of religion too well. Counting my years at a Catholic college, the unwanted visits from evangelists and performing as a musician for church groups I should have a PhD in theology.

Extricating myself from theism forced upon by my parents and continued by the Catholic Church, I gradually reached a point where I could ignore religion and discussions of theology because they held no interest for me. Therefore, I made up my own word to distinguish myself from theists, atheists, agnostics and non-believers. I became a notheist.

Notheist—(ˈno,-thē-ˌizt)—A person that believes gods are not relevant. As opposed to an atheist that believes there are no gods, the notheist believes that whether god or gods exist or not is of no importance. To notheists, gods are irrelevant to living and unworthy to meaningful discussion.

Again, no one has viewed one of these Gods anywhere except in ancient books and manuscripts written during a time when people believed diseases came about because of evil spirits. Miracles attributed to these supernatural spirits proved to be acts of nature and pathetic prestidigitation. Daily, millions upon millions of prayers go unanswered, but it is not cause for discussion. Rather, it is evidence of gullibility, superstition and psychiatric need.

As a notheist, I have already given the gods more space than even one of them is justified in receiving when there are real problems and solutions in a world more than 14 billion years old. If there was any worth in discussing even the lowliest deity, eons and eons of history show no reason to believe otherwise.

Views: 79


You need to be a member of Atheist Nexus to add comments!

Join Atheist Nexus

Comment by Donald R Barbera on August 6, 2012 at 10:48am
In my book, "The 80% Solution" I make of point of showing how Christian behavior is no better than that of anyone else and in many cases such as divorce rates and gambling--it is worse. In fact, you have to figure that if 76% of the country is Christian then the other 24% are extremely bad; or, to better state the truth religion makes no difference at all in modifying human behavior past the range of the pulpit. It never has and never will. Those people that find themselves doing exceptionally well aqt treating their neighbor fairly would do it anyway, regardless of Yaweh, Jesus, Zeus or Diana. The range of human behavior follows a bell curve with each end representing extremes in good or bad behavior. Most tend to fall in the middle, making a curve that looks more like a ten gallon hat than a bell. Getting them to admit it--now that is the issue. Even Stevie Wonder sees that there is much preach, but little practice.
Comment by Donald R Barbera on August 4, 2012 at 9:21pm
Even though most come to religion by birth, that any would stay with it past the realization there is no Santa Claus, shows the ability of humans to ignore reality if it helps their ability to cope. In other words, lie to themselves rather than face reality.
Comment by Billie Culver on August 4, 2012 at 8:16pm

Absolutely correct and brilliantly stated! 



Update Your Membership :



Nexus on Social Media:

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service