Just watched “The Best of Charlie Skinner” on YouTube for the umpti-umpth time. Sam Waterston’s portrayal of Charlie in the HBO series, The Newsroom, is dear to me for his alternation between avuncular father-figure and curmudgeonly news director, and I get a big kick out of him. Watching that made me think about how much I’d love to see Atlantis Cable News become a real, actual news organization, and then along with that, how many other organizations, governments, and individuals could stand if not a little idealization then some plain and simple improvement.
So I opened a Word document and started enumerating those things I’d like to see happen in the however-many-years I have left. Put simply, I want to live in a world where:
- The US Congress is a bit more Tip O’Neill and Everett Dirksen and a lot less John Boehner and Nancy Pelosi
- Russians get so tired of seeing Vladimir Putin’s bare chest that they throw him out of office and tell him to go get a life
- Israelis admit to being dicks to the Palestinians at about the same time that Hamas and Al Fatah acknowledge the converse
- Every news organization on the planet is run by Charlie Skinner or someone very much like him – someone who wants to do the news well. Why? Because they decided to.
- The 1% recognize en masse that they have entirely too much money and change the tax code by their own volition, while at the same time lobbying for a nationwide $15 an hour minimum wage
- People in general quit worrying about skin color or gender or gender identity and just care more about PEOPLE
- The believers recognize that their beliefs look pretty foolish to those who don’t believe and that proselytism is just as absurd … so they quit doing it.
- Governments of the world realize the climate mess we’ve gotten ourselves into and get VERY serious about correcting that
- Manufacturers and corporations are at least as concerned about the impact of their actions and products on the world and its occupants as they are about their quarterly P&L statements, if not a lot more so.
No, I haven’t been smoking something marginally illegal, just indulging in some rather wistful and wishful thinking. The sad fact is that I expect each of these vector quantities to go a lot further in their current directions before or even if they reverse course, and that I might not even live to see most of them correct themselves.
Still, I thought I’d document my ideas for the record.