Having recently spent quite a bit of time looking closely at the doctrines of a wide range of religions, I have come to the conclusion that most follow the same pattern:
1. An authority figure makes a claim that the individual is in some way flawed or dependent on a supernatural entity;
2. The authority figure make the claim that only they have special access to that supernatural entity;
3. The individual is thus convinced they are incomplete without the authority figure;
4. This keeps the individual dependent on the authority figure; and
5. The authority figure gets control over the individual and their adoration.
It is a scam of course. Religion convinces you have a fake disease and sells you a fake cure.