Tonight I, along with my wife and two daughters, decided it was time to carve the pumpkins for halloween. This year I wanted to try something different that the usual jack-o-lantern, so I carved a scarlet letter design. It was really quite simple although time consuming. I do plan to post a couple pics in the near future. If anyone wants to try this for themselves, just follow these steps.
1) Cut off the top of the pumpkin and hollow out the insides. Save the top so you can put it back on when you are done.
2) Print out a pic of the scarlet letter on vellum or even regular printer paper.
3) Tape the paper on your pumpkin in the position you want it to be.
4) Use a push-pin or sharp toothpick and poke holes through the paper into the pumpkin following the outline of the scarlet letter.
5) Take the paper off and the design should now be visible. Use a flat-head screw driver or something similar to scrape away at the pumpkin skin inside the design. You don't want to use a knife to cut all the way through because if you do, the center of the A will fall out. You just need to scrape it deep enough so the light will show through once the candle is lit.
6) Cut a hole in the back side of the pumpkin large enough to put in a tea light candle. Take the pumpkin outside and place it where it can be seen by passers-by and light the candle.
7) Put the top back on the pumpkin. It is finished.
*Note*- If the design is too dark then you need to scrape it some more with your screw driver, but remember not to go all the way through.
I had a lot of fun with this and it turned out nicely. Happy Halloween. Enjoy.